Beat it

Beat it

Bald feet!


I’m bald, or, as we in the bald community call it, folicly challenged and I’m okay with that, but what I wasn’t okay with the fact that after I got diabetes, my feet when bald too. All the hair…well, I say “All the hairy” like there was a lot to begin with and there wasn’t, but still, all the hair on my feet is gone.
Well, it’s from poor circulation, usually caused by vascular disease, can make hair disappear from the feet. When the heart loses the ability to pump enough blood to the extremities because of arteriosclerosis (commonly known as hardening of the arteries), the body has to prioritize its use. Hair on toes is low priority to the heart, so off it goes and it more than probably will never come back.
Reduced blood supply also makes it hard to feel a pulse in the feet and when you stand up, your feet might suddenly go bright red and then go pale when you put them up. It is especially dramatic to watch in my case because I’ve got such a ruddy complexion.
There is a lot more information at the US Government’s page on diabetes. Copy this address below and place it in the top bar on your home.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/complications_feet/#hurtfeet


There are many ways to measure success; not the least of which is the way your child describes you when talking to a friend. Unknown